If you have a passion for telling stories through media and communication, a degree in Mass Communication could be a fantastic choice for you. The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), renowned for its academic excellence, offers a comprehensive Mass Communication program. In this article, we’ll guide you through the key steps and requirements to embark on this exciting journey.
- Educational Qualifications: To qualify for the Mass Communication program at UNN, you need to meet certain educational requirements. You should have a West African Senior School Certificate (WASSC) or its equivalent with at least five credit passes. These must include English Language, Mathematics, Literature-in-English, and two other subjects related to Mass Communication.
- JAMB UTME Examination: Your next step is to take the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). During registration, select Mass Communication as your preferred course. Doing well in the UTME is important, as UNN’s admission process is competitive and merit-based.
- JAMB Subject Combination: When registering for the JAMB UTME exam, choose the right subjects for Mass Communication. Typically, these subjects include English Language, Literature-in-English, Government/History, and another Arts or Social Science subject.
- Post-UTME Screening: UNN conducts a Post-UTME screening for Mass Communication aspirants after the JAMB UTME exam. This involves a written test and an oral interview. Preparing thoroughly for these assessments is crucial as they play a role in the final selection process.
- Cut-off Marks: The UNN Department of Mass Communication sets the minimum cut-off marks for admission each year. These marks can vary annually based on candidate performance. Stay updated on the current cut-off marks by visiting the UNN website or contacting the admissions office.
- Direct Entry Admission: If you hold a National Diploma (ND) or Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mass Communication or a related field from a recognized institution, you might qualify for direct entry admission. However, specific requirements can differ, so consult the UNN admissions office for accurate information.
- Medical Fitness: All admitted UNN students, including Mass Communication candidates, need to undergo a medical examination to ensure their ability to participate in academic activities.
Pursuing a Mass Communication degree at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, can open doors to a world of storytelling and media. By meeting the educational qualifications, performing well in exams, and preparing for assessments, you can embark on this exciting educational journey and contribute to the dynamic field of Mass Communication.